Monday, August 30, 2004

Convention Flashbacks

Boy, here we go...poor New York City.  Well, I don't think the protesters are anything like the ones that took part in the Chicago Convention in 1968.

I was there. I lived through it. Terrified. We lived about 12 miles away from the downtown area in Niles, Illinois.  The level of violence escalated to the point that all hospitals in surrounding cities were put on alert for emergency services.

As we watched TV coverage none of us knew just how bad everything could get.  One of my neighbors was a freelance reporter for a news magazine...he had to go right into the area to do his reporting.  He was standing by a group of people in front of a restraunt..all of a sudden the cops started pushing people back.  There was no place to go...he and about 10 others were pushed right through the plate glass window and really cut up pretty bad.  He said at the same time, there was all kinds of debris raining down on the protesters heads - ashtrays, pens, various metal objects being thrown out of the hotel's window's.

It was a total riot, out of control and Mayor Dailey had lost it. You had Yippes, Hippies, Crazey's,Violent & non-violent all mixed together in the center of their city.  Don't forget shortly after this you had state guardsmen shooting young students at Kent State.  A terrible time.

So no, please hopefully no full blown riot in my city that I love.

Besides, the Republicans have to have their day, it's only fair..

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hope there won't be a full-blown riot, too.  was reading yesterday about a group of mothers against bush, and that they planned to have their children out there.  i found that disturbing, knowing what potential exists.

here's hoping for the best.  

Anonymous said...

I have many relatives who were cops in Chicago during the '68 convention.  I used to try to get them to open up about what went on during it, but they didn't want to talk about it.  I got the feeling that they didn't agree with the direction they were getting from above.

And while I agree that it is only fair for the GOP to have "their day," it's disgusting that they chose NYC.  They are exploiting 9/11 beyind belief.  Eveything I saw from the RNC tonight makes me think that this convention will be all 9/11, all the time.  Dignity assumes they would have gone somewhere else.

Jim

Anonymous said...

Comment to Jim...yes, I agree....it's not right for them to shamelessly push 9/11/ for political reasons.  All of us, and I mean ALL AMERICANS, belong to that day and the grief we all felt....it's not something to be politicized.

Anonymous said...

I DONT THINK THEY SHOULD EXPLOIT 9/11 EITHER, BUT I DONT KNOW WHY THEY CHOSE NYC??
THANK YOU FOR THIS ENTRY. I LOVE READING ABOUT THINGS THAT HAPPENED IN THE PAST AND YOU TELL THE STORY SO VERY WELL. :)
KIM.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you were there in Chicago?  Yikes, that must have been frightening.  I don't want to see any violence over something as stupid as a convention either, but it's almost as if America won't pay heed unless there are arrests.  ¤Holly