Friday, August 27, 2004

Homework Assignment #20 Fave HS Class

Well, we need to get back into our time ship and return to a far, far away year....to hear the tales of schools of yesteryear. Everybody in? Ok..here we go.  

It was the year 1958...the height of pink poodle skirts, saddle shoes with white socks, sighing over Elvis, swooning over Fabian, doing the real Lindie - flips & all, getting on the Alan Freed Show, American Bandstand, watching "submarine races" while parked at Forest Park, drag racing down Crossbay Blvd. and not getting caught! Oh, My! You meant classes, teachers, learning, books! 

Well, yes I did have a serious side... my favorites were drama & chorus. For several years running I played Emily in "Our Town" to the point that the script is still embedded on my forehead today.  I didn't have a terrific voice, it was so-so good for a chorus...but not a stand alone and belt it out type.

One of my best friends, Linda, had the most beautiful voice I had ever heard...bell-like she could sing without music - people just stopped whatever they were doing and listened as if under a spell. I often wonder where she is today? We both married, moved and lost touch..sad.

The music part of it was great, we would meet in the music hall earlier than the class would start so that we could have a jam session.  Even though it was the fifties, it was New York and racially mixed in schools. My school had a really cool mix of kids...so we had black, white, and everything inbetween in our music class.   I found that music ties everyone together and we had some remarkable, enjoyable moments in music during that time.  One of the kids was very gifted on the piano..he would start playing "Heart & Soul" just pounding it out...we would begin to sing in unison...it was fun.  Everytime I hear that song I go back to that classroom.

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sandi,
Thanks for leaving a comment in my journal. I think alot of people read journals and don't leave a comment and then you feel like no one has read it at all. Did I just make any sense??????  I grew up in the fifties...I am a baby-boomer! hehehehe    
Now I just feel OLD, so I don't know why they still call us BABY boomers? ;)
I have never been to your journal, but I will be back. And I loved Star Trek too. I saw you homepage.
BEAM ME UP SCOTTIE....
BONES, WHAT'S THE DIAGNOSIS?
SPOCK (sp)....he had cool ears.

SHARON
http://journals.aol.com/spurgins311/LovingIt
http://journals.aol.com/spurgins311/SLS/

Anonymous said...

I WAS BORN LAST IN MY FAMILY, SO I GREW UP HEARING ALL ABOUT THE FIFTIES FROM MY BROTHERS. I LOVE HEARING , OR READING STORIES ABOUT POODLE SKIRTS, SOCK HOPS, AND THE MUSIC!! MAN, WHAT A TIME, HUH?
I LOVE YOUR JOURNAL, AND WILL BE BACK OFTEN. ITS ON MY ALERT THINGY. :)
KIM.

Anonymous said...

Cute :)

Danielle