Saturday, August 14, 2004

The Hammer Came Down

Well, I'm back at home...it's Saturday...it's so weird, we didn't hardly get even any rain, wind nothing.  But my heart cries for the people in the lower counties that faced such devastation when Charlie ripped through their area.  Well, I was a girl scout until I was 17 years old...so the saying "Be Prepared" stuck with me all these years. 

The people in Charlotte County really thought the storm would hit us here in Tampa Bay so they didn't do as much evacuation as we did up here...more than 1-1/2 million folks got the hell outta Dodge! They started early enough on Thursday to motivate people to leave, I just hope that because it didn't hit that the next time people won't ignore the warnings.

Especially since they predicted 11 hurricanes this season and Charlie was only number 3!  In fact, there is another one following Charlies path that will be over Cuba by this coming Thursday...so we shall see what occurs and say a prayer.

My husband, Joe, insisted that I go to my parents before the storm was to hit as he was worried about all the trees on the property - why do men always want to do the danger bit?  He wouldn't leave - if a tree hit the house hey it hits the house, you have insurance...it's not worth your life. 

Then I go to my Mom & Dad's figuring sanity will prevail...I walk in and find out that my 87 year old Dad went up on a ladder to the roof to remove his TV antenna.  Storms & hurricanes must bring out the testosterone in men no matter what the age!

I'm thankful that the storm did not hit the Tampa Bay area....sorry about where it did hit...but I do believe the devastation would of been greater because of the larger population, taller buildings etc.

We'll be on watch all week ... maybe we'll dodge another bullet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back -- was wondering how you fared.

I saw pictures of Charlotte County -- looks like a bomb went off.  :-(
Stay safe.

Anonymous said...

I just heard on CNN, how there are some hotels charging outrageous prices to people who had to leave their homes. How sad!