Thursday, September 9, 2004

9/11 Another Day of Infamy

We are a fast paced society.  We like to compartmentalize neatly into different areas things that occur, especially things that take us by surprise.  So I guess it's only natural that we have become a society of things pre-9/11 or after-9/11....sort of an B.C. or A.D. type of thing.

Life changed for so many people that day.  I can only use Roosevelt's thoughts and say that it was indeed a day that will live in infamy.   The evil that was done that day, I believe, will be spoken about for 1,000 years or more....if mankind survives that long.

Sure, evil has been with us since the dawn of time....but so has good.  The people that reacted swiftly in New York, like stopping the trains from going under the towers, to evacuating people as quickly as they could...the first responders going into hell beyond the call of duty - all in the name of good.  Evil danced in the streets even as people jumped to their doom.  Men of good continued to climb, trying to help, trying to save.

We have so much suffering going on in this world...it shouldn't be the way it is.  There's no need for it to be that way. Maybe I'm crazy but I really think it all comes down to greed.  One group wants superiority over the religion, the land, the women or whatever, and that gives them a real good reason to kill.  I guess control also has a bit to do with it..most dictators are control freaks.  Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini & let's not forget Sadam...oops almost forgot Fidel...boy, we certainly don't run out of idiots do we? 

So, imagine trying to explain to a child why their Mom or Dad is gone.   It's hard for me to understand it, much less really wrap my mind around all the thoughtless deaths.

I still can't get my mind off of the children in Russia that were just slaughtered...for what?  Because of an age old hatred going back hundreds of years - my father hated your father so I'll kill you type of mentality is just so unbelieveably stupid.

I have a tape of the World Trade Center being built, from the architect's first renderings to the final walls put in place..it was a marvelous feat of engineering. 

Seeing the city skyline - you realize that something is missing. The twins shone like a beacon for so many years that driving into the city...you could see them even before you hit a bridge....I'm glad that they are building tall and proud in that same spot.

We need to show the world that we will not cower, we will not falter, we will not fail and that only the good shall prevail.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said tribute.... The world is mad with greed. I must say i think that is the only reasoning behind our invasion in Irag. All in the name of money and control.

Anonymous said...

VERY BEAUTIFUL TRIBUTE. I ALSO LOVE THE PICTURES YOU POSTED. ESPECIALLY THE SECOND ONE OF NYC AT NIGHT. IT IS GOING TO BE AS BEAUTIFUL AS EVER WHEN THEY GET THE TOWERS REBUILT.
KIM.

Anonymous said...

With the children its very sad......for the sins of thy father are bestowed among thy children.......How can any war be just when both sides feel justified? War seems to only affect the innocent....the guilty have no conscious.

Anonymous said...

A New Yorker my whole life, the Towers were always a welcome sight when I returned home from someplace ...
It still is odd when flying into LaGuardia, and not seeing them in the skyline ...

Kasey

Anonymous said...

  It is so true with 9/11 have happened that today the world is seen as pre and post 9/11. I never thought anything like this would happen in my lifetime, unfortunately I do not have the power to take it back.
  It was a day that showed the true evil in this world, it was also a day that the world remembered what humanity, compassion and hope really means. So many lives were lost for such inane reasoning.

Wonderful tribute.

Steph~