Wednesday, March 2, 2005

Journal Jar Question #13

 

What cherished heirlooms do I have from relatives who have passed over?

From my Southern Grandmother Lee I received a great deal of love that is still with me today together with a handmade crocheted bedspread made by her "grandmother"...my great-great grandmother.  They owned a Tobacco farm in South Carolina and her Grandmother used the white cotton twine that they used to tie the tobacco with in bunches - that's what she made this beautiful quilt out of.  Everytime I touch it, I feel a connection to all those women who have gone before.

From my wonderful Greek Grandfather who loved Lee with every fiber in his being....Lee collected statues..years & years of statues, made in Japan, big ones little ones.....we, children, on the other hand would , not intentionally, break them.  Nick would sit for hours and glue & paste the pieces back together....and tell Lee "see if you don't move it - no one would know!" I have several of the pieces that he lovingly pieced back together....they are worth more to me than if they were made of gold.

I also have paintings & sketches  that were done by my Japanese MotherInLaw, a very talented painter.  So many pictures that jar my memory of my time spent in Japan.

My paternal Grandmother Sophie lived to 103 with full mental facilities intact, other than a few pieces of jewerly I don't have too much from her....what I learned from her is invaluable - strength, love, caring - a dogged stick-to-it-ness that has stayed with me all these years.

I do miss these people...and I know in my heart we will meet again.....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello,

Thanks for entering my contest at my juornal....

You've got a lot of great stories here, and I have been very facinated by them all! I have bookmarked yours and will be back often.

Best,

Marsha

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful entry.  I love your journal.  

Except I'm a little bummed because after this awful, freezing cold winter we've had, I was thinking I wanted to move to Florida.  But then I read your description of Florida, and now I'm not so sure! :-)

Thanks for stopping by my journal! :-) http://journals.aol.com/shedtheshellnow/ShedtheShell/entries/1208

Anonymous said...

Sometimes the lessons are the best things we can have. Lori

Anonymous said...

WONDERFUL memories...

~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl