Thursday, March 17, 2005

In Less Than 24 Hours

It seems we have come full circle.   I've written about this before, I've cried over this before...and yet, we still battle on.

On one hand we have people who get all teary eyed over a cartoon character singing about the "circle of Life"....while here in Florida, actually not too far from my home, a battle continues which some would call the "circle of Death."

On one hand you have a family that willingly will provide loving care for their beloved daughter and on the other a husband, who gave up early on any "therapeutic" care, who carried on with his life creating new life while still maintaining "he was doing the right thing by his wife".  My God, what's wrong with this picture?  I know the picture of justice is always blindfolded but in this case I believe the judge is not only blind but bereft of all human compassion.   I know, full well, that there is a difference between our "legal laws or the letter of the law" and our morality.   

But this case deserves the wisdom of Solomon not a judge who refuses to look into his own soul for answers too.  Does he even know what this poor girl will go through to die?   Starvation is an awful sight...painfully slow and she has been through the beginning stages of it twice before because of this judge and her "loving" husband.  It's not enough that the tube is to be removed tommorrow at 1 PM, the husband also secured an order that will not allow anyone to try to hand feed her anything...water, food...nothing to go into her mouth.  Why? What is he afraid of? God has made this woman survive for some reason and it's just not right what they are doing.

I can't begin to explain how this case upsets me....I can't imagine how her family feels...the pain for all these years, the wanting to help her, being told they could not, refusal of medical treatments, no further theraphy.....I normally do not curse, but I hope that the people involved in trying to end her life this way eventually find themselves at the gateway of hell.

I know the Governor is trying to help and maybe a rescue will come in time....I pray it will....and to all those who think "oh, crap she's a basket case let her go"....life is life and all things are possible under heaven, as long as it exists anything can happen...as several weeks ago another "comatose" person came back after being declared as having "no hope of recovery".

Say a prayer for Terri......

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

for a long, long time, i've wondered why the judge would allow the feeding tube disconnected when her family is so willing to take care of Terri.  it's not only unconscionable, it's heinous.

Anonymous said...

today in the town where i live the father of an eight month old child kidnapped and killed the child and then himself, this world is becoming more and more evil.. i can't imagine if my son were in the shape that this women is in and i'm willing to spend the rest of my life taking care of him that a judge could say that i don't have the right to do that.. i carried him in my womb i went through labor to get him in this world and i would die taking care of him if that is what it took so why aren't the parents allowed that privilege ????????? where are jeb and george w now??