Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Journal Jar Question #25

Grandparents...oh, I believe that I'm one of the luckiest people to be able to say that I knew all my grandparents, grew with them, learned from them and admired them for their strength, their wisdom and their love.

I was born during the Second World War....as a result my Dad was a Marine stationed far away from us...my Mom worked during the day to help with the cost of a family...that left me as a babe in the arms of a loving, kind Southern Grandmother and multi-talented Greek Chef Grandfather who both fawned over their first born grandchild.  I was the golden baby.

My Dad was seriously hurt during the war, developed complications that caused him to be hospitalized for almost two years....so the first formative years were mostly under the guidance of my Grandparents.

They lived in Norfolk, Virginia and we visited during the winter school break and I spent almost all my summers at their house..it became my second home away from home.
Even now, if I close my eyes I can feel myself on their covered front porch...sitting on their large swing listening to the rain hit the green & white awning that my Grandad had put up to shield the porch from rain....I can almost smell the rain. I can remember coming home from the pier with bushel crates full of Chesapeake Bay crabs and helping Grandpa clean them off for cooking. He taught me how to fish & crab & cook.  My husband thanks his memory when I make Greek Grape Leaves or any of the wonderful dishes that he showed me.   Memories can play tricks sometimes, but this is one that I cherish.

They taught me to be kind, by being kind...they taught me to be faithful...by being faithfull for more than fifty years, they taught me to stand my ground when I felt it was right and to trust my instincts.  They taught me that love was a moving, living, growing essence that had to be tended to or it could be lost. 

They teased each other, sometimes refused to speak to each other unless it was through one of us kids...it would be "Tell that man Nick that he is really in my kitchen too much!"  Nick of course would respond "Youtell Lee that I'm the cook in the family and she can wait till I move!" I guess you would consider it "fussing" at one another...but always with the undercurrent of love embedded in it.

I didn't find this out until after my Grandad passed but my little Grandmother, who never learned to drive, would get on a downtown city bus for an hour to take her to the Veteran's Hospital on the days that my Uncle could not take her.  My Grandad was in there for over a month...Lee never missed a day.  So much of our family did not live right there, so it was with heavy heart that I learned this....but my Grandmom said to me "Nick would of done the same for me."

She lived a good number of years without him but he was never far from her memory, as both of them are never far from mine.

I was lucky, I spent the first 42 years of my life knowing my Grandparents.   I believe that we can learn from our elders, I have always believed that...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grandparents are very special.  You will probably remember my tales of my Grandmother's house and how much she meant to me.  You were very lucky to have them for so long.  I only had two Grandmother's after the age of six but one of them was not friendly with us and Dad threw her out of the house after she went for me.  So, I only had one beloved Nan and I still miss her.  I so enjoyed reading this.

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

this was a beautiful entry.  my grandparents raised me from birth and my grandad passed on my senior yr in school and my grandmother passed on six yrs later in 2000 but she never remarried or even looked at another person.  alot of ppl think it's sad that my mother and i aren't close or i never met my real father, but i feel like i was blessed and my childhood was filled with love and just the type of faith you were speaking of.  i feel very lucky and miss them both very much everyday.  you were very lucky to have your grandparents in your life and for such a long time.  

Anonymous said...

You are truly fortunate to have so much time with your grandparents!

What a national treasure our grandparents are!  In general, we can't look to politicians or sport heroes for role models anymore . . .   those days are loooonnnngggg gone.
 
Grandparents have always been role models, and that's much more important  

Cyndy
http://sdoscher458/IfeisFollofSurprises/entries

Anonymous said...

ah, you are lucky, to have had them and known them, and to have been guided by such loving, positive people.

this is a warming read to start the day.  thank you for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

You are lucky to be able to remember your grandparents.  Mine all past away when I was rather young and memories are very few.  

Anonymous said...

hello hun, missed reading your journal, hope all is well xx ive been really busy! just to let you know im still around and will be updating journal soon xx
take care xx
Jay xx

Anonymous said...

how lucky you are to have known them both..wondeful entry!

~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl

Anonymous said...

So great to hear a love story like that where she had such devotion. Thanks for sharing that.