Friday, January 18, 2008

Glass Is Half Full

Oh, I like fairies, I really want to believe that somewhere in this great universe they exist.   It can't be that I am alone in my feelings about them either, because too many tales have been written about them.

I believe I was done in early in life by watching a Mid Summer's Nite Eve...of course, falling in love with bad boy Puck.  I love fantasy, anything that can remove you from the mundane routine of everyday life.  Reading something that could not possibly happen, yet it takes you away to places that are amazing. I think it brings out the "inner" child in all of us.  Right now I need that.  Why? It's nothing serious just facing another birthday.  This one though makes me think, only because of the song "Will You Still Love Me When I'm Sixty-Four?"

I can remember when that song was very fresh and so was I.  Singing to it, thinking oh lord...sixty-four how old is that!  Oh, how the sins of our youth do come back to haunt us. Trust no one over thirty...got through that pretty well. And somehow mentioning Big Brother in 2008 doesn't have the same impact that it did before 1984.

Oh, well...they are saying that forty is now the "new" thirty...are we all going backwards? Did I miss something here. Being on the edge of the "Boomer" generation do I get a pass to go back to looking like fifty?

What's funny is that I do not feel old. I know I'm slower than I used to be, but I find I laugh more and I take more time to grasp a situation instead of plowing right into it as I used to do. I know I am blessed not to have any really serious health problems and I am grateful for that. If I follow my parents and grandparents in longevity I could still have 30 more birthdays...only time will tell.

I was born on the cusp of Capricorn and Aquarius..January 20th, I've also had to share my day with the President every four years. I tend to think I'm much more Aquarian than Capricorn.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always enjoyed an enriched imagination and believe in a place somewhere that no one can return from when they visit.  Something to take our minds off of our troubles here.  I too remember that song! Wishing you the happiest most memorable birthday year ever.  
I am also born on the cusp of the month.  Sept.24.  I am much more Libra than a Virgo.

Enjoy your happy new year!

Nelishia
http://journals.aol.com/nelishianatl/PrayingandBelieving/

Anonymous said...

Somehow, now that I'm 63, I DO feel old.  People are dying all around me.  Cliff and I go to funerals so often.  And I realize there isn't that much time left, even if I live to be 100.

Anonymous said...

happy birthday and thanks for visiting my journal
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!  I am all for 40 being the new 30, etc ...  I said for years that age is just a number and we are only as old as we feel.  That was before I reached the mid fifties, LOL.  
Sam