Saturday, September 6, 2008

Wow..Sometimes You Need To Wear Thigh High Boots

 Shades of the past come back to haunt us.  These photographs made me so mad! The city was so determined not to have anything go wrong with the Republican Convention that they practiced riot control for weeks...so it is not surprising that the police sprang into action even against teenagers just sitting quietly on the ground. Hey, they practiced and needed to show strength of purpose didn't they.  I look at these pictures and I am taken back to 1968 and the convention in Chicago (I lived through that). Of course, that was a combination of all sorts of factors and you had some really far out weird groups in the mix too. So that convention did get really violent on oh so many levels. Thousands were hurt, the spillover on the injured even made it to my neighborhood in Niles. Of course, as luck or Murphy's Law would have it...my little two year son climbed up on the toilet, over to the bathroom sink and into our medicine cabinet to find all the goodies! There were pills scattered everywhere...had no idea how many of what he ingested.  So in the middle of a riot I find myself heading to the hospital to have his stomach pumped! I have been in emergency rooms before but I was ill prepared for the chaos that I witnessed. The young people waiting for treatment looked like they had been through a bloody war.  Thankfully the nurses took us into the back away from it and got us out of there quickly.

Seeing these new photos, watching the video of it...just brought back such bad memories.  It's always the youth of our nation that fight injustice where they see it, they stand up against and more times than history has proven that they were correct in their fight.

It's funny Obama's speech here in St Petersburg got interrupted by several black youth holding a large banner...he asked them to sit down and that he would speak to them after his speech. And he did. 

Now, of course, I don't expect McCain to stop his acceptance speech because of someone holding up a banner against him...but what he said goes to show exactly what he thinks of the general public....he brushed it off telling folks "don't let static or background noise bother you".  Hmmmm

I hate to say this, as I love my country...but those pictures could of been taken in Beijing.  That's how they deal with protesters.

It also is very comical the way McCain is now trying to re-establish himself as a "maverick"...uhh...I don't think so.  He's older than I am and I feel older than dirt. Yes, he is a hero but that does not automatically convey the keys to the country. What about the fact that he has been part and parcel of what has gone on in the Senate and Congress for years....now he wants to be "new" again? Don't think so.

I just hope everyone votes from a good perspective on this race and do not just follow part rhetoric....for the love of our country.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, Sis - I have nothing but respect for the way Senator Obama has conducted himself - thoughtfully, with dignity and with respect for others. I doubt that I'll be able to say the same for McCain and his entourage as we struggle through the next two months.

Anonymous said...

Ronald Reagan summarizes the entire Republican Convention as only the Great Communicator can. Even he isn't impressed with the GOP.  Check it out at, http://beema.wordpress.com/2008/09/05/beema-news/.