Saturday, September 27, 2008

Hey! Henny Penny The Sky is Falling!!!

 

Sometimes you do feel that the world is a weight on your shoulders. The news this week has been very depressing, worrisome and downright bad.  My folks lived through the depression and it changed their outlook on life as they grew up.  Will we learn the same lessons that they did as we perch on the precipice peering into a chasm of monetary turmoil?  I highly doubt it.  Their generation learned to "make do or do without"...from the baby boomers on up to our youngest generations we have never learned how to "just make do".  We want it ALL....and we want it easy to boot.

It's easy to understand how we arrived at this crossroad for our country.  Hey, do you need a house?  Forget about a down payment, we can scoot you in under such and such loop hole and you will pay nothing.  Just forget about that little ole balloon payment in five years...heck, alot can happen in five years.  You, my friend might win the lottery! So enjoy the low payments, low interest....suck it up, don't worry BE HAPPY...you deserve it!!

Save money? Not the typical American I know. As a nation we are a poor excuse for saving much of our income...we are in the SPEND, SPEND mode.  We see it, we want, we have to have it....oh, Lord don't let the neighbors get it before I do. Can you see a pattern here?  We have toddlers walking around with expensive gadgets that just a few years ago adults had to think twice about buying for themselves.  Our values are so screwed and twisted. 

Then we have a total idiot in the White House who believes in maximum spending to achieve what he feels is best for the country..err (Haliburton)??  Ten BILLION dollars a month spent in Iraq, what the hell are we doing?  Pumping up, protecting another countries interests - saying that it is OUR interest too? We have lost over 4,000 American soldiers, hero's every one of them.  Don't forget that more than 30,000 troops have come home injured and willsuffer the consequences of that for the rest of their lives. Yet we have a man who wants to be President....McCain..saying that even if it took another ten years we must stay in Iraq.  Why is Iraq key? Afghanistan is more important in the scheme of things.  If after so many years of our involvement the Iraqis can't manage to get along and control their country something is very wrong.

We cannot take on the ills of the whole wide world.  It is impractical to think that we can. It is one of the reasons that our way of life is in trouble right now.  We need to tend to our own borders, shore up our spending, develop new and exciting areas of energy.  All the money that has gone into death and destruction must stop.  Otherwise our country will go the way of all the other civilizations that have failed. 

We need a grass root movement taking us back to basics.  Do your part, save some money...shore up our banking systems.  Invest a bit in stocks, now is the time to get some good buys while things are low. I'm not saying drop a bundle, just do a little. Every little bit will help.  Especially investing in anything "green" will help our country in the long run.  Grow a garden, give back to nature and you may find that the benefits are great. Fresh food and lower blood pressure.

I watched the debate last night, wish I could of asked the questions.  I thought some of the questions asked were sort of redundant and not well thought out.  McCain comes across as old and tired, constantly trying to bring his listeners back to the sixties and his war years.  Unfortunately, we need to live in this century...it is a brave new world out there and we need someone young, not someone whose glory days were forty years ago. I don't think I'm prejudiced against his age, I'm old too....not quite as old as he is.  He constantly pulls out his 96 year old Mom, I guess showing longevity runs in his genes. So does mine...my Dad is 92 and my Mom is 87.  That doesn't mean that I will see that age...nor does it mean that McCain will either.

A heartbeat away is Sarah Palin....she has done nothing in the past two weeks to impress me.  She still insists that because Russia is in close proximity to Alaska that makes her a maven in dealing with foreign governments...huh?  With that regard, I should consider myself a great diplomat, having visited the American Embassy in Japan, being giving a private tour of the Ambassador's office...I think that should count too. Give me a break.

Please, think it over, be careful....vote for Obama

On a personal note, I just returned from a wonderful, relaxing visit to my sister & brother-in-law's home in beautiful Washington State.  I do believe that God must have smiled when he created that area of our country...just gorgeous.  Of course, leaving the oppressive humidity of Florida and arriving to sixty-five degrees felt really refreshing too.

Charlene & Bob are into a lot of "green" things. They have a lovely vegetable garden, grape arbor, fruit trees and they harvest quite a bit on a daily basis. That is a great way to live, taking just enough from the earth and giving back . I think it has a sense of poetry in action to that life style. 

I visited with my youngest son Joey, he's been out there now for about four months and is doing well.  But, it made this Mother's heart happy to actually see that he was okay.  I also appreciate the help that my sister and her husband have extended to him so he doesn't feel all alone out there.

Well, when I get my pictures downloaded I will post some...I think I got some really good shots of the Washington area.....take care for now....

 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You hit the nail on the head, Sis!
We watched the debate last night and the thing that bothered me the most about Sen. McCain was the fact that he would not look Sen. Obama in the eye. I just don't trust a word he says - he comes across as very insincere. You're absolutely right - this country needs some 21st century leadership - someone we and the rest of the world can trust.
Love you (and miss you already) - Charlene

Anonymous said...

Sorry I don't agree .

~~emma~~

Anonymous said...

Oh, it's fine for someone to have a different opinion, that's what makes this country so great. I just hope for all of our sakes the right person is in charge....Sandi