Sunday, October 23, 2005

Stolen Childhood

My friend in England ran this heartbreaking poem about a lost child.

My name is Jamie
I am but three,
My eyes are swollen
I cannot see,

I must be stupid
I must be bad,
What else could have made
My daddy so mad?

I wish I were better
I wish I weren't ugly,
Then maybe my mommy
Would still want to hug me.

I can't speak at all
I can't do a wrong
Or else I'm locked up
All the day long.

When I awake I'm all alone
The house is dark
My folks aren't home.
When my mommy does come
I'll try and be nice,
So maybe I'll get just
One whipping tonight.

Don't make a sound!
I just heard a car
My daddy is back
From Charlie's Bar.

I hear him curse
My name he calls
I press myself
Against the wall.

I try and hide
From his evil eyes
I'm so afraid now
I'm starting to cry.

He finds me weeping
He shouts ugly words,
He says its my fault
That he suffers at work.

He slaps me and hits me
And yells at me more,
I finally get free
And I run for the door.

He's already locked it
And I start to bawl,
He takes me and throws me
Against the hard wall.

I fall to the floor
With my bones nearly broken,
And my day continues
With more bad words spoken...

”I'm sorry!", I scream
But its now much too late
His face has been twisted
Into unimaginable hate.
The hurt and the pain
Again and again
Oh please God, have mercy!
Oh please let it end!

And he finally stops
And heads for the door,
While I lay there motionless
Sprawled on the floor.

My name is Jamie
And I am but three,
Tonight my daddy
Murdered me
.

This poem brought tears to my eyes. No child should feel this ever.  As a people, as a nation we love our children...but so many are hurting behind closed doors that it should shock our very souls to the core.

Maybe it's because I've gotten older, more sure of myself.  I'm not afraid to say whatever it is that needs to be said.  Is that becoming a woman "of a certain age"?  Then again, my hubby tells me that I've never been one to hold back on my opinion too much anyway.

We had gone food shopping, while standing in line for the check counter the woman in front of me yanked her little boy right off the floor by his arm.  Granted this woman had a newborn in a carrier in the shopping cart, plus another little girl about four and the boy looked about two, she definitely had her hands full.

I really thought this woman was losing it. I couldn't help myself..the idea of standing still and watching her start to whack at this little one just upset me so.  So, I said "You really need to control yourself...stop for a minute..and think...you are ten times the size of him...yanking his arm could put him in the hospital with a dislocated arm, over what? A tizzy because he wants a cookie?"

I had oreo's in my cart, I opened the package knelt down and handed the little boy one...he stopped bawling, his Mother (thank goodness) calmed down and actually thanked me.  I tried to keep it light with her...I told her that the kids grow so fast, that what is annoying her right now she will wish for when they leave the nest.

Other people have told me that I should just mind my own business....nah! not my style.

Anyway, Jeannette from Jeannette's Jottings feels very strongly about getting the word out about child abuse, especially with the Christmas Season coming up.  So please feel free to reproduce this poem, pass it along - the more people who read it, the more aware we all become.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That poem, is just heartbreaking. I got goosebumps reading your entire entry.
I can't imagine a single child ever feeling such horrors. I am with you, I wouldn't mind my business ever, when it came to stepping in to help a Mother calm down, or help a child. I couldn't live with myself if I did such a thing, turned my back. Keep talking about, keep our voices raised, that this is unacceptable, ever, in our world.........
Rebecca

Anonymous said...

So glad that you passed this on my friend, the more people it reaches the better.  All praise to you for stepping into that situation.  The world would be a better place if more people did things like that and also reported any suspicions they have about abuse to the authorities. xxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Mind your own business??!! When we see anyone getting hurt it's our business to intervene if possible. We'd complain if Social Workers minded their own business and did nothing. I can't believe the cruelty in the world sometimes. Jeannette.

Anonymous said...

I saw this poem in another journal; it is good the word is getting out. I think what you did with the little boy, the cookie and his mom is commendable. Too many of us might have judged her or spoken harshly, but you helped her to step back and perhaps get a few minutes to calm herself by speaking up and offering him a cookie.

betty

Anonymous said...

A tactful intervention can help things escalating so well done ... parenting isn't easy, support is needed but it's not always welcomed.

Kath

Anonymous said...

Yes, getting the word out is very important.  AND I would have done the same thing...I would have had to intervene somehow.  I read in a magazine once about taking a moment to help a mom about to lose it is all about not acting too judgemental, offering actual help - like a cookie - and keeping it light.  You did it all!  

Be well,
Dawn

http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/
Poetry:

Anonymous said...

Wow that poem is deep and true. ITs sad that any child is cheated of a childhood. I pray that all who sees it..REPORT IT..and not be silent...Every child deserves a future. Great blog~ FLAVA

http://journals.aol.com/ladyhasflava/TheDayandTimesofaNovelist

Anonymous said...

As a mother of 6 young children (age 2 - 10) I know what it is to be swamped and run off my feet. But I have one big advantage where the care of my children is concerned, namely that I had some very bad experiences in my own childhood. Some people take these events and somehow feel justified in repeating patterns. I have gone the other way. I know what it is to be fearful and feel your little body shake with terror at night.

I'm not saying I'm perfect. I shout and on occasion smack, but always in a controlled manner. Mostly it's enough to get down to eye level and actually TALK to the child. You have to wonder about some of these people you see swinging children about in supermarkets, if they are willing to do that in public, what on earth are they like behind closed doors?

Thankfully, people who abuse children are in the minority. The lady you saw was in all likelihood just having a bad day. You did her the biggest favour Sandy. By keeping it light and passing on a little advice you probably made her think about her own behaviour for the rest of the day. Hopefully, that night she hugged her little boy that bit closer before she tucked him in for the night and wished him sweet dreams.

Tilly x
http://journals.aol.co.uk/tillysweetchops/Adventuresofadesperatelyfathouse/

Anonymous said...

I have no words.  It is just so sad.  You did the right thing with the mom.  I only have two but they are a serious handful.  Check out is the worst time with them.  I know she appreciated you.
Traci

Anonymous said...

this is heartwrenching...

know what you mean - i see parents scream or hit little kids in public places, and it makes me wonder if they should have kids at all...

Anonymous said...

ohh...that poem is really heartbreaking....my heart cried silently.
I think it's good the other mom saw your point. It is not easy to step in a situation like that. I applaud your values.

Gem :-)

http://journals.aol.com/libragem007/JournallyYours