Thursday, January 13, 2005

Time Flies When You Are Having Fun

Well, it's hard to believe that I'm back home again.  Did you ever look forward to something so much and find that the moments leading up to it move as slow as molasses in January....but when you are right in the middle of the moment time is "flying" as if the second hand on the clock had a life of it's own...speeding...faster and faster.

I enjoyed the children so much.  Each age has it's own joy...the oldest girl at age seven is oh, so grown up..and proud of her accomplishments...very good at schoolwork, is writing in cursive (in my day we were still printing at age seven!) And her writing is actually beautifully written not a scrawl...but again she has a high amount of artistic talent, it shows in her writing and her artwork.  She's still at that age where you still believe for a short while in Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny & the Tooth Fairy (which will be visiting her shortly)

You cannot play favorites with Grandchildren but the little four year tugs at my heart strings...she's the image of her Mom...I look at her and it takes me back 30 years. There's no moss growing on her either, smart as a whip and very quick on the uptake.  You have to watch what  you say around her and she forgets NOTHING!  I have a little stuffed cute Monkey that has been traveling with me for the last seven years, sleeps in my pocketbook and makes quick friends with little ones.  First thing she asked me was..".Grandma Sandi..Where's the Monkey??" The last time I was up there she was two and had taken my Monkey and dunked in hot chocolate, well she still remembered what she had done to it....so coyly she said to me "I won't drown your Monkey...please can I see it?" She had me laughing.

Oh, lord...The Twins...cute as buttons, just two years old and learning fast from the older sisters....each one of the older girls has "her own" twin. They gravitate towards one another and actually get jealous if the twins switch older sisters. Well, I hadn't seen the babies since they were ten months old so of course they looked at me like I was this crazy lady and when was I leaving.  The first day they both looked at me and when I tried to even talkto them.....they both shook their heads and said a great big NO!!  Well, I kept on working on it, they saw me interacting with the older girls and little by little they warmed up to me.  Then they decided that I was to be called Nanna Sandi not Grandma....my daughter still didn't know where that came from because no one is called Nanna up there.  I'm easy, I don't care what you call me just call me.  Anyway, what really worked was my faithful friend The Monkey!  The twins wanted the Monkey..they would send the four year over to ask if she could play with the Monkey so she could hand it to them!  Little by little the twins would ask me "Monkey sleeping and they would glance towards my pocketbook"...sometimes I told them "Well, right now the Monkey really needs to sleep but we'll get him up in a little while okay?" They would play with the little Monkey and return it to me for it to go back to "sleep".  This all worked well until my last day..couldn't find Monkey...we looked everywhere...so with heavy heart I had to fly home alone.  That night my daughter called me and told me that she had found the Monkey in the magic bed (kid's name for the pullout bed) she said that all of the kids were going to get a box and jointly put the Monkey in to mail to Grandma Sandi.......I actually miss the little fellow.

I had a great time and I wish we lived closer.

I can't believe that it's almost a month since I wrote in this journal.......I'm still playing catch up since I'm back so my writing will be sporactic.......

 

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful family you have and your time with them sounds magical.  I so liked reading about it. Thank you xxxxx

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time.  You are so blessed with 4 grandchildren.             Dawn

Anonymous said...

You have a lovely style of writing Sandi...very fluid, warm. I wish more people understood that good writing doesn't have to be full of big words and astute observations. The standard of good journalism, I was always taught, is to KISS.....Keep It Simple, Stupid ....LOL.
PS...As you know, I am partial to Monkies.....loved that part!
TheAnimalFair

Anonymous said...

WELCOME BACK SANDI!! (NANA) I AM A NANA ALSO. THIS IS ONE ENTRY THAT I HAVE BEEN WAITING ON. I WANTED SO BADLY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR GRANDCHILDREN. THEY SOUND SO SWEET. AND IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAD A BALL.
KIM.