Thursday, January 20, 2005

Homework Assignment...Parties that Bombed

No my little one's two year old birthday party was successful, just figured I'd use a party picture.

Little did I know that I would actually years later become a "Party Planner" yikes.

Well,  I've had some strange experiences with clients, one in particular comes to mind. I'm not going to  publish the person's name, just let it be said that he is involved in a major league sport.

This person had just built a $5,000,000.00 home in our area..it had everything...a man-made lagoon pool,a bath changing area, a long dock with a boat ramp, an outside bar area, a heated four car garage, wide open green spaces to be able to party on, bedrooms galore, a game room to die for - everything that you can possibly imagine it it...a child's delight, a large lanai with inside bar....everything made with beautiful shades of marble.

Well, of course, he's going to throw a grand opening for the house. My employer and myself toured the grounds making plans for the party.  This particular gentlemen had a New York publicist that wanted to plan the entire party long distance...well, we all know how good that works!  She wanted white heated tents, comfortable furniture....tables and chairs everywhere.  We proceeded to order and prepare everything from flowers to the gourmet foods requested.

We were informed that 500 individual invitations had gone out...so we planned for around 700.......this woman mailed out over 1,000 invitations without telling us the correct number.  You got it...fiasco!!   Not enough room, not enough food, not enough security....with that much going on...all the young kids in the neighborhood tried sneaking in over the gates. Oh, I forgot to mention that she had also wanted huge spotlights shinning over the mansion to attract more attention.   It was too much for the security force that was in place.

I felt bad...I knew the owner did not want a riot at all and it was not what he had envisioned.  Luckily, they had brought in some really good musicians so people were kind of chillin to the beat and it didn't turn ugly.    Of course, they also ordered alot of pizza!

That's my sorry story.......Sandi

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW that sounds like ...umm alot of fun. :)
L.

Anonymous said...

Not that much fun...alot of work and plenty of aggravation from the "know it all" publicist...

Anonymous said...

Now you got me wondering who this celebrity is!!!!  Glad it did not turn into a riot.  His home sounds wonderful xxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Sandi can you be the planner of my son's 2nd b-day party since I've done the 1st already?  I could use the help since this one has got me frustrated!  LOL!  I promise not to have you send out more than 100 invites....................So who's the celebrity, come on spill, spill...............
Beth-Ann
http://journals.aol.com/rwsgirl2029/ItsMyLilWorld

Anonymous said...

What a great job you have!  I'm curious to know who the celeb is, also. Blame it all on the publicist.  He/she should have left good enough alone with you, then it would have been just fine!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Must be exciting to put together a party for that many people! The largest group I had was around ten! Just dropping by to steal some of your edamames. Are they done boiling? I'll be right over. I'm making sweet mochi balls today. Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the makings for one heck of an ulcer. ; ) Great entry! ~Ann

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a mess, but you handled it well. - Karen