Saturday, January 22, 2005

NorEaster

Well, I guess alot of the country is in for bad weather.   I look at the newscasts of the heavy snows hitting across the midwest & eastern seaboard, it takes me back to the winter of 1969 in a suburb of Chicago.

Boy, we got hit with a storm to end all storms...29" of snow...combined with the terrific wind that Chicago is noted for.....I could touch the snow from the second floor of my townhouse.  My whole front yard, front door were totally inaccessible.  Luckily, we had a back door (no pun intended) so we walked or climbed around the block and shoveled our way to the front door.

I wish I had a scanner, I have a picture of my little two year (Kenji) standing on the path that we had just shoveled....he's all bundled up in a heavy blue snow suit, the sides of the walk way formed almost an igloo type of cave....that towers above him and drawfs him totally.

I could never understand why the city of Chicago always had their fire hydrants super tall above the sidewalk..I used to think, are they trying to tell the dogs something?..that year I found out why....that bad storm hit in December or January .... it never melted, we never saw the sidewalk again until April! 

I loved the snow though...I wish I was up in New York now..just to play.  Besides there is something magical about the city's view after a really heavy snow storm....it glistens, it glows, it refreshes the air and quiets the city's soul for a little while.

Just stay warm people......and safe..... 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our winter of l962/63 was like that. I started snowing on the 26th December and did not quit until the end of March. Truly.  The sea froze over, we could not get out of our back door or our front door. My Dad had to climb out of the window and shovel it away.  When the snow cleared there were thousands and thousands of dead birds everywhere. It was horrible.

Anonymous said...

Living in Florida, I visit the snow every now and then, and that is enough for me. I am not a cold weather person and I hate bundling up. Snow is pretty for sure but I want to admire it from afar. Getting chilly in my neck of the woods though but the sun is shining like there's no tomorrow. Have a great week, Sandi!

Anonymous said...

We were fortunate to not get bombarded by the snow like up north.  We ended up not getting any more accumulation like they had called for which bummed me out a bit.  We did get ice and icy roads though.  It's bitter, bitter cold!

Anonymous said...

we are getting hit as we speak-Bring it on!!

Anonymous said...

I got about a foot here and it looks like the sun wants to come out.  It is so beautiful and my son is totally amazed at the site!  He won't stop crawling to the windows trying to figure out what happened.  It's really funny when he looks out and then up at me for clarification!  LOL!  Stay warm.............Beth-Ann
http://journals.aol.com/rwsgirl2029/ItsMyLilWorld

Anonymous said...

Hey! Thanks for giving me a link to your journal! I have read so many journals this evening about snow, snow, snow! It really makes me miss the snowstorms of my childhood!

Anonymous said...

First of all I want to say "Thank you" for stopping by my journal and leaving a helpful comment. Things seem to be going ok so far with the WC insurance company.

All of this bad snow weather reminds me of the movie I watched last night...Stephan King's "Storm of the Century". Spooky.

Interesting about the Fire Hydrants...But makes sense.

Stay warm.
Cheryl
http://journals.aol.com/dvlwitgrneyes/Fortysomething/

Anonymous said...

When we had a blizzard here in Colorado in '97, we had 6 foot drifts up against the house.  I took my youngest outside... whe was only 3... and she was soooo bundled up that she could barely walk.  She fell face first in the front yard and was instantly covered up by the snow.  The snow was only about knee deep, but it was still scary at the time thinking how dangerous it was if she had been alone and no one had seen her fall... every time she moved more snow would cover her... I decided then that I don't like blizzards.  Love snow... hate blizzards.  We didn't know it at the time but a young couple died about a mile from us during the blizzard.  So very sad.

Anonymous said...

we got about a foot here!  

~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl