Saturday, January 7, 2006

Hell Has Frozen Over..baby it's COLD in Florida

Oh Baby...it is cold in Florida, at least my little portion of it.  They say that it will actually go down to freezing tonight.  I mean, come on folks, I had the front door opened for fresh air just two days ago...with a nice balmy breeze blowing through the house. It's not fair.

We suffer all summer with intense, extreme, aggravating, suffocating, overpowering HEAT and do not forget - HUMIDITY!  So it's only fair that come wintertime we have delightful, balmy, spring like weather all winter.  Jeeze, I might as well be standing on a metal grate like my friend Betty Boop....just to get warm.

Oh, I know I'm going to hear from all of you that are snowed in just how rough you have it.....gotcha beat this year....you all didn't live through the hurricane hell that passed over us, around us, zig-zagged across our state leaving all of us in a Zombie like mode.  We were probably the only people in the world to develop a twitch from watching the weather channel...or should I say..the hurricane news channel.    Oh, does anybody know whether that last storm actually left? Zeta? Tell me again that storms are over by the end of November...someone forgot to clue in Mother Nature.

Anyway, I've got the cold but not the fun...no snow.

Ok, I was tagged a while ago by Chaispice but this is my first entry since then so here goes my five quirky things that I always do.

1) I have a tremendous fear of needles, hate them is not too extreme of a word with regard to them. I've been this way all my life. When I was younger and needed a shot my folks had to trick me into the doctors office. Drawing blood is a complete horror for me, I have passed out..also they seem never to be able to find my veins without stabbing me several times...which of course, adds to my panic.  I have to do it, of course, I know that.

2)I chew gum constantly.  I stopped smoking about five years ago, cold turkey, using only regular gum to help me.  Now I am addicted to gum. Wonder what that says about my personality?

3) I learned Gregg shorthand many, many years ago and when I write my poems I always write in shorthand...I've done that for years on end.  I recently found some poems that I had written when I was a teen...you got it .. in shorthand.  I was still able to translate it back.

4) I love to cook. I make a good deal of Japanese dishes from scratch as Oba-san taught me to do. I always cut the veggies up by hand, I never use a food processor. I know it would be easier, but I want to cook the way I was shown by her and also by my Grandfather, who was a Greek Chef. So I stubbornly cling to what I was shown...one slice at a time.

5) When I am alone, and I mean all alone...I put music from the 50's, and 60's on and sing at the top of my voice.  I love it, love the music....but will not do karaoke under any circumstances.  I used to have a good voice, but as you get older it sometimes changes and I feel the changes have not been for the good in my case.

So how weird am I?  On a scale of 0 to 10....

Oh, if any of you guys who are reading this have not been tagged...guess what?  TAG you are IT......

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

weird? Not at all...#3 is cool..and #4 is awesome!
Gem :-)
http://journals.aol.com/libragem007/JournallyYours

Anonymous said...

Oooh I loved your quirky things!  AND stop complaining about the cold, I saw the florida forecast thingy...it is going back up to 75 on Wednesday!  You will not freeze to death.  LOL

Be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

I think you deserve that delightful, balmy spring like weather all year round - after suffering that hurricane from hell...hope Mother Nature will be kinder to you in the future....I love the answers to your 5 quirky things you do...on a scale of 0 to 10 maybe 1 - but you sound pretty Normal to me....lol....Take care....Ally

Anonymous said...

I couldn't live with those hurricanes so I guess you deserve a good spring-like winter!! I did the 5 weird things about me but every time I read someone elses they also apply to me too, I must be weirder than I first thought!!!! Jeannette.  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels

Anonymous said...

I'm coming round to your house for a meal!!  Your cooking sounds so good.

Anonymous said...

yeah, that's the thing about the south - when it dips below 50, it's FREEZING! and when it's sudden, it's extra freezing.

i find myself taking telephone notes in gregg shorthand.  loved the course, loved the code.  how weird are you?  not a bit!  and..do you have a recipe for gyoza?

Anonymous said...

I learned shorthand years ago too and I can still read and write it. Oh what a memory that brought back reading about you knowing it.

I hope it warms up a bit for you soon

betty

Anonymous said...

Chai...I do indeed have a wonderful receipe for Gyoza.  I will email you. Sandi

Anonymous said...

Very fun ... I enjoy reading your journal ....
Pop by and say hi soon ....

~~Emma~~

Anonymous said...

I don't think you are weird at all...as for the gum chewing, I cannot keep a piece in my mouth longer than a few seconds before wanting to spit it out...chewing gum is an annoyance to me...


Anonymous said...

love your journal....i have already been taged. so check it out. i am also in florida, in the cold...lol......roberta

Anonymous said...

you're not weird! Kell tagged me, but I haven't done it yet. We've been in the 60's for two days and then sat it's calling for snow.


XOXO
Lahoma

Anonymous said...

Well hello there! Its lovely to meet you! I enjoyed reading your entry, and I have tagged you for further alerts (hope you don't mind!) I was particularly interested in your comment about the shorthand....just yesterday I bought a Teeline shorthand book (for 10p in the College Library sale!) so I could learn how to write fast and furious college notes in lectures!

Its freezing here in Scotland too, so you have my sympathy!!

Claire x

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your journal - I understood about 30% of it - divided by a common language maybe! How weird are you? Remember we wear black arm-bands on 4th July.