Monday, August 29, 2005

Good Lord Panning for Gold In them thar hills...

Well the folks made it home safely. Of course, they are tired but it is a good exhaustion. One that you feel after running a good race, or climbing a high mountain..accomplishing something.

My sister Charlene and her husband Bob did a marvelous thing by taking them on this terrific trip. I doubt they would of gone themselves at the ages they are..yes, years ago..they would of hopped on a plane, ship or whatever and took off. However when you are approaching your 90's running swiftly into the unknown is never really a good thing.

My folks had me on the phone for over an hour as they regaled me with all the tales of the frozen north. It was a remarkable adventure for them and they loved every minute of it. The raved about the accomodations on the cruise ship, they felt that they were treated like royalty.  My father told me that Alaska is one of the most beautiful places on earth and he has seen quite a bit in his lifetime. My Mom raved about the plantlife hills abundant with heavy greenery, wild flowers everywhere.  She even brought back seeds. Alaskan flowers adapting to Florida? If anyone can do it..she will.

Hopefully, I will get to see them this week and I know they took a lot of pictures.  I believe Pat, who they were visiting also took digitial pictures so I'm hoping I can get some down loaded and I'll show them at a later date.

Oh, and guess what? They went panning for gold! They had a lot of fun with that...of course, they came home with a little bit of glitter in a vial...but it is gold.

Oh, did I mention that today is my Dad's birthday? He was born on August 29th, 1915 right about the start of World War I....Happy Birthday Daddy!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So he is 95????!!!!   WOW!  AND he went panning for gold in ALASKA?  We should all be so fortunate...  Happy B-day to your daddy. ;)  C.  http://journals.aol.com/gdireneoe/thedailies

Anonymous said...

What an adventure for them....Now with a bit of luck we can share their pictures.....Ally

Anonymous said...

Happy 90th birthday to your dad, what great folks they sound! I hope I'm still up and travelling at that age. Sounds like they had a great time, I hope the seeds grow to remind them of their adventure. Jeannette.

Anonymous said...

Sandi,

I am so glad they are home and had fun!  Happy birthday to your daddy!  YAY!

Be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/
Poetry:
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/TouchofEmpathy/

Anonymous said...

Just found your journal and I really like it. Your all about me was an entry  in itself and what irony!!
Tilly
http://journals.aol.co.uk/tillysweetchops/Adventuresofadesperatelyfathouse/

Anonymous said...

a belated happy birthday to you dad!  glad y'all had a good time :-)

Anonymous said...

Happy BDay to Sandi's Daddy!!! Blessings, Sassy ;-)

http://journals.aol.com/SassyDee50/SassysEYE

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your daddy.

Thank you for adding you kind words to my journal.

Gem xx

Anonymous said...

Sandi,
I'm so happy for your mom and dad and can't wait to see those pictures. It was a wonderful thing for your sister and her husband to do. So often it's easier not to travel with the elderly. I wanna see those seeds growing in Florida! I treid to grow english lavender (my favorite) here, but it just couldn't survive. It held on for about 8 months and sort of mutated into something very weird looking, before it just gave up and died. Sigh.
MAryanne

Anonymous said...

A belated happy birthday wish to your Dad. I wish one day I will be able to travel and enjoy life like your folks...