Sunday, July 24, 2005

Life Is Definitely Full Of Surprises

I look at the faces of my past wondering how everything flew by so furiously and fast.  Grown ups used to tell me "slow down, enjoy your youth!"  Did I listen? No...I was in a terrible rush to gain the unattainable....my vision of adulthood.

I can remember as a young near teen watching my folks, my Aunts and Uncle's getting ready to leave for a night out of dancing....boy...as I stood on that staircase, my reflection glaring back at me in the mirror above Grandma's fireplace, I was so jealous of the good times that I was missing because I was too young.

Little did I know then that by the time I would be of age to participate...the good times would be gone.  What I wanted in my childhood could not be garnered in my adulthood, no matter how hard I tried.   For I learned a bitter lesson, the people that we love most for one reason or another pass from us as quickly as the morning dew dries on the leaves as the sun draws high, or so it seems.

Just a moment in time...our lives seem to be so fleeting almost as a grain of sand quickly flowing through the hourglass of time. 

The pictures above are of my high school John Adams, Queens New York...it was a large school, it won awards in it's day for it's excellence. We used to line up by the doors on the side street, standing there shivering in the cold. Heavily wrapped in our winter overcoats, complete with the required head scarfs - heaven help us if the wind touched your do! If you look closely I am the fourth person on the steps, the guy in back of me was a teacher.  Ye gads, I had a beehive of a hairdo!  Those were the days my friends!

The third picture really really brings back memories.  Jimmy, my then boyfriend, is in the plaid shirt, I'm standing in front of him looking at the picture taker...my friend Louise is staring back too....I even remember ordering a Baloney & Cheese Sandwich w/mayo on a hard roll....

My stroll back into memory lane really began because of the website Classmates...Iwas browsing my graduating class and found these pictures on line! I know I have them in my year book somewhere....but lord you never know what you will find on line!

I also made a reconnection to a girlfriend that I had lost touch with for over forty years...we spoke this past Saturday and I remembered her voice - she sounded the same.  Hopefully, when I visit back home again this year we can pick up the pieces of our friendship and hopefully laugh at the way life has surprised us.

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

ReConnecting - that is just TOO cool!  

Anonymous said...

"youth is wasted on the young"

       - g.b. shaw

Anonymous said...

WOW THOSE PICS ARE COOL.  I AM FROM NY TOO.  

Anonymous said...

reconnecting is great, sometimes it feels like you never lost touch...great photos!

~  www.jerseygirljournal.com

Anonymous said...

Sandi,
I'm glad you found an old friend after all those years. I too, discovered a best friend just a couple years ago. She was my best bud in high school and here she ended up living just 15 minutes aways from me 25 years later. We reconnected just as we both turned 50. As we had dinner together I just kept thinking, "Boy I'm glad I never got that old!" Wonder what she was thinking of me...
At any rate we never contacted each other again. We had absolutely nothing in common any more.
Yep those were the days of beehive hairdos and baloney sandwiches that no one told us we shouldn't eat. Life sure is weird.
MAryanne

Anonymous said...

You will meet up again as I did with my long time freinds and still freinds today we just drifted for 3 years I love your journal and thank you for the comment and I am still a baby at this computer but funny you told me that advice because I found it right before you came to my journal and looking forward to returning.

Anonymous said...

Very cool!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on reconnecting with your friend!  That was wonderful!!!  Isn't it fun to go back over old pics...

Thanks for all the prayers...

Be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

I look at the faces of my past wondering how everything flew by so furiously and fast.  Grown ups used to tell me "slow down, enjoy your youth!"  Did I listen? No...I was in a terrible rush to gain the unattainable....my vision of adulthood.

I love this entry! I relate all too well!