Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Earth Day

In honor of Earth Day....I'm writing in green.  As spring opens it's welcoming arms wide our days grow longer as the first green throes of green rebirth emerge.

Of course, here in sunny Florida, we never have a total white out of all our lovely greenery....we really only have two seasons...cool and very hot!

But still my little corner of the world is filled with such beauty that renews itself each spring that I have come to welcome the change as a long lost friend.

Picture #1....A most beautiful flower that only blooms once a year in the middle of the night, dying by dawn's light...I give you the Night Blooming Cereus....fragrant beyond belief so beautiful to behold I never regret the lost sleep on the days it is blooming..the flowers shine so white as to be almost "glowing" casting brightness to the darkness.  Our plant grows up an old Australian Pine Tree, growing up over thirty feet...when it blooms this year will be spectacular.

#2. Old fashioned Snake Plants, sometimes called MotherInLaws Tongue (kinda resent that one) They grow straight, proud and tall.

#3. Now I borrowed this picture...I have the plant it just is not in bloom as yet...but look at that bloom...this is the Bunny Ears Cactus...the type you always see in cartoons.  On such a stickler Mother Nature outdid herself with the beautiful blooms!

#4. We have Pothos, Marble Queen that grows with abandon around our front garden, some of it has climbed trees clinging tentacles grasp at the bark growing ever higher and larger.  Entwined throughout the Pothos is the beautiful deep purple Moses In The Pulpit Plant, also known as the Purple Heart Plant. The deep purple is a gorgeous contrast against the green and white of the Marble Queen.

#5. This is another variety of the Snake Plant, this one is a bit speckled and wider than the others....the blooms it puts out are extraordinarily fragrant.

#6. Just more of thePurple Heart Plant.

#7. Oh, this plant just sings "Spring" renewal...ferns are Mother Natures wonderful gift.  Bunches of it are popping up all over the place...I'm going to start some baskets soon.

#8. Everyone has heard of the Wandering Jew Plant, there are so many varieties.  We have the green, silver and purple type growing in abundance all over our garden, it grows in such profusion that it chases the weeds away.  The only thing that dares to compete are the graceful fronds of our lovely ferns. 

I started typing this at night so I couldn't get additional pictures to put up....but if the weather is good tommorrow I'll try to get some wider shots of the garden area.....my sister calls my front garden "a miniature rain forest".   We love it, we have frogs, lizards, small snakes..an occasional opposum and birds...plenty of birds!
One year, in March, it rained so much that my neighbors yard flooded...I came home one day to find a blue Heron fishing for tadpoles within feet of me! Totally awesome feeling of one with nature.  Oh! Can't forget the male peacock...he struts his stuff and everything else leaves him alone.

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures!!

Anonymous said...

Great PICS!  Thanks for sharing.  I love it when the days grow longer like this.
Sam

Anonymous said...

Hi sandi!  TY so much for your encouragement and I agree   Happy Earth Day!

Anonymous said...

Nice flowers there in Florida. Loved your comments about the weather there. Reminded me of when I lived in Southern California. They are supposed to have a "dry climate" so they also don't mention humidity. And some places such as Palm springs that are attempting to attract tourists don't have any temperature. Who would want to go there knowing that it's 110* nearly every day? Me? I finally escaped to NE Ohio.
i am also a gardener. would you like to chat about gardens?
DHMILL@aol.com

Anonymous said...

I love your viewing your photos and reading your knowledge about and description of them. I wish I had that talent and patience, too.

Thank you so much for visiting my journal, too!

Tina

Anonymous said...

It's nice seeing others doing an earth day entry of sorts. Thanks.
~Braxton