Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Mother Earth

Have to write this in green, everyone should be into green at least for this special week.  Or is it only a day that we award the earth each year? One day to cherish what Mother Nature has provided us with and only one day to return the favor and treat her gently?

I found myself with a sudden urge to plunge my hands into the rich, mulched soil that my husband has provided for our garden. You see I live in the land of Hajii...only sand and sand spurs grow unaided, everything else has to be cultivated at some point. I look at my neighbors backyard and all I see is white splotches of sand and some sparse sickly looking Bahamian grass - in sharp contrast to our little oasis which resembles a miniature rain forest. 

I can remember growing some Wandering Jew in a basket up in New York, and having it cascade over the sides...I thought how wonderful that was. Yet, down here I have an outdoor carpet of it...it stops the grass from growing, loves mulch...thrives without much water....wonderful plant.  And I have so many people buy it from me on Ebay...so I think it's marvelous.

Today hubby cut some more of the Yucca's to start some new plants and he also cut some huge Corn Plants so we will have some more coming up.  Not to be outdone I repotted a whole bunch of my favorite plant the Aloe...I have always had Aloe growing it is such a useful plant. You can use it for burns, bug bites even sunburn...it really works well. The Indians knew it long ago.

Our weather here has been almost perfect, would that it would stay this way but I know that we have hot weather on the way.  Oh, well...at least our vegetables are doing good, we are going to have some harvest when the tomatoes start turning red....I'm counting the days on this one.

I have to pick up some herb plants as I had wanted to start a front yard herb garden.  I had grown basil and dill last year and it was very good.

I guess plunging your hands into Mother Earth and replanting growing things is a great way to celebrate Earth Day...the next best thing would be world peace....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so inspiring... enjoy your garden...

And, thanks for the beautiful pics...

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

I think plunging your hands into Mother Earth ~ and World Peace would be the wish of each and everyone of us ~ Loved your green entry ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

Happy Earth day
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

i'm of the mind it should be earth week...or month.  practice makes perfect, or at least better.