Sunday, April 6, 2008

2nd Part of Legends Never Die

Wow, for some reason you never expect your heroes to pass, you expect them to continue on as if they were infallible, never-ending.

There was a moment in my life where Charlton Heston and I almost crossed paths. The year was 1961 I was all of 17 years old and proud of the fact that I was when of the youngest hires by American Airlines at then Idlewild Airport.

I worked in a very secure area under the terminal and through phone links and shoot tubes from the upstairs ticket agents managed to put people on the plane in their correct seats.  There was a bit more to the job description because I also filled in on weekend days for the Manager's secretary as I was a good typist and knew steno well.

So at my desk I had a typewriter.

This one particular day in spring of 1961 Charlton was traveling on American Airlines and had a layover in New York.  He was not one to waste time when he could be doing something useful...such as catching up on personal correspondence.  He asked the Public Relations guy if he could find a typewriter to use.  Yep, you guessed it...mine.

Of all the damn times for me to be off from work!  Anyway, he came in, used my desk, sat on my chair...used my typewriter.  He was such a gentleman...he left a lovely note, thanking me for the use of my desk and typewriter.

At least I was "told" about the note.  Between the "Manager" or the PR person...that note disappeared. Nasty people anyway. 

But I know that he wrote it and he wrote it to me.  If I had been there I would of fainted. Lol.  

I know his soul is in a better place and that he was welcomed home at Heaven's Gate with wide open arms...rest well my hero....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's sad to hear of Charlton Heston's death. He was a great man and actor. I'm sorry to hear you missed meeting him, the old school of actors would outshine any of todays! Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/  

Anonymous said...

That's a great "almost" brush with fame story.
Charlton had the blessing to be perfectly cast in these roles where his physicality, booming voice and great looks inhabited the part.  But let's be honest, he didn't have much range.  Can you imagine him playing a convincing Willy Loman? Charlton Heston always played Charlton Heston.  Which is no slight against him--I loved his work. I just don't confuse great parts with great acting.

Anonymous said...

A lovely memory for you to keep and cherish.  Sad you missed meeting him.

Anonymous said...

Ahhhh that's a sweet event to remember.  Too bad your nasty manager or someone took the note he left you.  Linda in Washington state  

Anonymous said...

Aww!  What a wonderful story!  Too bad you didn't get that note first!  It was yours!  

Rest in peace, Moses.

be well,
Dawn
http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

Anonymous said...

That's a very nice story. From what I've read throughout the web, Heston was a heck of a guy.

Dan

http://journals.aol.com/slapinions/Slap-Inionscom