Thursday, June 30, 2005

Well Life Is Full Of Surprises

Well I was going to write all about the corsages that my sister & I are going to make and sell on Ebay....but first I think I need to rant a little bit.

Last night I was doing a search for something on Ask Jeeves and lo and behold...I see something that looks so familiar.  Hey, it's one of my stories that I had put on here last Halloween...this guy evidently needed a story to show his blogging group and just used mine.  He very nicely deleted my name at the end...you know...the written by part.

The feedback was good but it was strange to read it as it was directed towards the interloper.

I know you are not supposed steal band-width taking pictures without downloading to your own hard drive....what is the correct on line etiquette with regards to words? stories? poems? Can someone just take them and do what they want?

I've had some people ask me if they could use something I had written for a specific purpose and I gladly gave them permission.  Has anyone else had this problem? I'd like to know how others have dealt with it.  Enough ranting...on to better things.....

My sister and I have decided to bring back a little bit of the fifties/sixties.  It used to be the custom for the parents or an Aunt to give a girl a special corsage signifying a certain age.

Do you remember the 50's?  Well, there was one tradition that thrilled a young girls heart....a very special corsage made just for her and her alone to show the world that this was a very wonderful day for her.

Now this was not just any corsage, filled with flowers or such.  No, it was geared to the age of the girl...certain items were attributed to certain ages as per the following list:

10th birthday - lollipops
11th birthday - gum drops
12th birthday - tootsie rolls
13th birthday - bubble gum
14th birthday - dog biscuits
15th birthday - life savers
16th birthday - sugar cubes
17th birthday - lemon drops
18th birthday - cigarettes

Because, in this age, we do not want to promote smoking...we would exchange the cigarettes for cinnamon candy...

The corsage that we are listing today is for a thirteen year old...handmade with 13 pieces of Bazooka Bubble Gum attached to the corsage, complimented by white & blue tulle and sheer ribbons...all hand wrapped to perfection.

This is a perfect gift for a young girl, something for her to make a memory of and to make her feel "special" on her day.

We feel good bringing back some of the values that were the fifties.  We are also showing a picture of the "sweet 16" sugar cube corsage...really pretty.

I'm going to be listing these corsages in my Ebay Store also...please know that we can make anything on that list. We are also coming up with ideas for the younger girls...using such things as gummy bears, gummy worms etc., candies that weren't around in the fifties.  If there is anything of special interest to you please just email me and I will get back to you.

Anyway that's what we have been doing and it's kind of fun.  I can remember receiving several of the corsages as I was growing up..I think it would be nice to bring back some of the older traditions, don't you?

 

Ps..Ebay Store is  http://stores.ebay.com/AllAboutYouCollectibles

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dang!  I am so afraid of that that I have been considering dropping my journal!  Too bad!  What does Mr. Scalzi say?            C.

Anonymous said...

If you are going to plagarize, plagarize from the best.  That's obviously what the guy you mentioned did! <wink>  I see many journalists putting copyrights on their photos in J-Land.  I guess we could start doing that to the printed stuff, too.  But then there is the problem of enforcement.  Good luck with the corsages.
Sam

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the guy stealing your story.  Plagiarism is a punishable crime.  The corsages look so cute!  Best of luck with the venture.

Anonymous said...

Everything you write belongs to you and it is your copyright. You should go after this man. You should report him and write to him to say that you know he stole your work or put something on the site where it is posted to say that it is your work and the date that you wrote it.

Anonymous said...

Ah, doesn't it make you furious when you open a page and are greeted by your OWN words??  that happened to me once...opened a link to a poem and kept thinking, dang, this sounds familiar and it should have. it was MINE.  i confronted the plagiarist, but his attitude was - so what?  and that was even more infuriating.  i guess i wanted an apology or some show of conrition.

the corsage is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

the nerve of some people sandi. isn't there anything you can do?

Anonymous said...

ps. good luck with the corsages!!!

Anonymous said...

  I've had this problem with folks stealing stuff.  My photography is copywritten and I, for one, don't appreciate it when folks just help themselves to it.  I had one woman write me and ask about using my art and photography for a hook rug design she was working on and wanted to market.  Now to me, that is a salable thing so of course, I offered to sell her the copywrite to use it.  This way I could send her the full dots photo that would allow her to enlarge the picture to a useable format.  She declined to pay for the copywrite.  There have been occasions where I've allowed someone to use my work but that was usually a situation where the area of it's use was for a nonprofit organization.

  I would write this fellow and ask him to put your name back on the piece and the date you wrote it.  It is a crime to use someone elses work without permission.

Anonymous said...

cool idea, good luck!