Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Ten Things That I Have Done That Maybe You Haven't

Interesting prospect, list ten things that you have done that others might not of...hmmm...ok...here goes....

1. My dad, Charles Schick, was the only person to "break" both Seabiscuit and War Admiral.  My sisters and I participated in arranging interviews, and meetings at which our Dad spoke about his memories of the early days of horse racing. It was neat to see him get his "15" minutes of fame after all these years.  Check out Google....Charles Schick...Link to Legends, St. Petersburg story.

2. I "married" my boss and went to live in Japan in 1965.

3. In sixteen years of working within the bridal industry I helped over 450 brides get married.

4.In 1965 I sat in his Shibuya apartment and watched a Japanese artist paint, this interesting gentleman had rubbed paintbrushes with Matisse & Picasso...in France many years before. That's one of his pictures the river scene above...his name was Riichiro Kawashima.  An extremely interesting man. 

5. I worked at 30 Church St. NYC which was torn down to make room for the World Trade Center.  I was actually in Tower I before it was completed, because I had a close friend involved in the building of the tower....I saw how the floors were stacked and the center shaft like a wind tunnel...it just howled.

6. I'm growing plants and selling them on Ebay...it's fun.

7. Years ago I rescued a young girl who was a runaway..convinced her to call home...arranged for her to get to her Dad......everything was successful...but I had to listen to the police tell me that I should not of gotten involved.  Would still do the same darn thing..

8. I was in a dark blue Volkswagon Van driving in the city, the engine lost power and we had to coast into a one=way street going the wrong way right by a small park (we pulled in there because of no traffic) Well!  We were surrounded by police, plain clothesmen guns drawn etc...taken out of the van ... questioned..it seems we broke up a "sting" operation.  They were expecting a "dark blue Volkswagon Van" to be filled with drugs and we blew their entire thing....of course we were totally clean, had nothing wrong except a rotten engine.  We got ticketed, but quite a few of the police were gnashing their teeth that day.

9. I catered backstage for Paul Anka, he asked for something special, strawberries to go....I was able to do it...he tipped me $20.00 - I was told that he rarely tips. 

10. I was the youngest person ever hired by American Airlines..barely 17, worked in "Seat Assignments" in Idlewild Airport in Queens...now known as Kennedy Airport..worked there for a year.

Wow..that was trip down memory lane........

10.

9. I

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You, ma'am, have had an interesting and exciting life!  I'd love to read the stories behind the list (hint, hint)

Anonymous said...

Wow!!  Mine aren't nearly that interesting!  http://journals.aol.com/pixiedustnme/Inmyopinion/entries/774

Anonymous said...

EVERYTIME YOU WRITE ABOUT YOUR LIFE AND THINGS YOU HAVE DONE, I AM ALWAYS IN AWE OF YOU SANDI.
I ALREADY READ ABOUT YOUR FATHER. I SPENT QUITE A BIT OF TIME GOING THROUGH THOSE ARTICLES AND THEY WERE FASCINATING. :)
KIM.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I loved reading about your dad and Seabiscuit and War Admiral!  I read the book "Seabiscuit" about 18 months ago, and it made me want a horse so badly, I ended up with one.  I have the Breyer plastic replicas of Seabiscuit and War Admiral on my dresser.

Anonymous said...

great list!! I have never been to your journal.. but I'll be back!
~ Promise
http://journals.aol.com/promiseluv372/NoPromisesNoDemands/

Anonymous said...

I did this over at my quiz journal, link at the sidebar of my main blog! love your answers :-)

~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl

Anonymous said...

Now that list makes an interesting read...and would also be great reading in journal entries....ya' know?

Anonymous said...

I love Paul Anka. Good list.
Celeste

Anonymous said...

That's a great list!

Anonymous said...

Wow! You led a very interesting life, Sandi.  I love your other Journal about living in Japan.

Anonymous said...

Nope, haven't done any of those <g>... This was a fun little excercise. Shows how different we all are from each other and how unique each of us are!
http://journals.aol.com/astaryth/AdventuresofanEclecticMind

Anonymous said...

love your list!  so unique!

~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl

Anonymous said...

What a list!!! That is an astonding fact about Seabiscut and War Admiral!  he must have lived in Paris or Lexington!

Anonymous said...

No, actually Seabiscuit came off the horse car in NY as a untrained yearling, he needed to be broken to the bridle, bit..etc.  War Admiral was a year later ... in Maryland at a farm...needed to get used to humans etc...my Dad did a great job in taming them and contrary to the "book" did not use violence as a means of teaching either horse.      Sandi