Monday, February 7, 2005

STUFF, STUFF & MORE STUFF

Stuff....stuff....it just appears out of nowhere - all of a sudden you have stuff!   It's funny too, cause you can't seem to get enough stuff even when you haven't anymore room for the stuff!

It's like, you know, that one drawer in the kitchen that really wasn't designated for any particular item....just STUFF!  How many times do you dig through that stuff drawer...looking for God knows what....but you are sure that it's in there.

I know I have many a time told the hubby, when he was "rooting" that whatever he was looking for was in the STUFF drawer....and he normally would find whatever...so it may not of been what he was originally going for but it filled the void!

I have a huge STUFF drawer...the thought of clearing that out is scarey.  I mean, at this point, I don't know what's really in there.

The whole reason I'm worrying about stuff is that hubby has decided we need to downsize what we have and I have to agree the almost twenty years that we are here..stuff, stuff & more stuff have piled up.

My biggest problem is that I'm a compulsive saver, I look at it, figure out a use for it and decide to save it for a "later time" to be put to use.  I envy the people who can take one look and toss it.....somehow, along the way I have raised three kids who can toss with the best of them.

Oh, sure I have "stuff" that I put up on my Ebay Store but most of that is "stuff" that I got with the intention of doing that.  I made myself go into my China cabinet, take out something I've had for years and put it up on Ebay...oh the pain.....

I have to say goodbye to Engelbert's autographed picture, signed in person to me and his red hankerchief..embroidered with his first name!  I think I keep things because of the memories.. that's why I like old antiquey things too.  Old things have a feeling of a full life to them, containing alot of special memories.

Baby steps, Sandi....baby steps......

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In your "about me"" section I noticed you too faced the reality of living in Florida.  The humidity, the heat, and the rain!!  Both of my boys were born in Florida. Pregnant two summers in a row..horrible.
We have a stuff drawer, stuff boxes, stuff folders, and it is like kudzo, once it starts, it grows like crazy.  (I would keep the picture of Englebert).  It would take me months to make up my mind.  

Anonymous said...

Well, Sandi, you are not alone. I have tons of "stuff" everywhere! Actually my hubby just yelled about throwing it all this weekend. At least you are organized enough to have a stuff drawer. It's a nice spring day in my part of Florida. Hope it is in yours, too!

Anonymous said...

I'm working ont his problem too... ::sigH::hang in there, youll get to the bottem of it!

~JerseyGirl
http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl

Anonymous said...

We have stuff too.  LOL  Little things that need a quick tucking away always end up in a kitchen drawer.  A few years ago I went through several things and if I hadn't used it in the past 6 months, I got rid of it.  Chances are I was never going to use it.  Although the rest of the house is good on keeping stuff out, I will always have that one kitchen drawer.