Saturday, October 9, 2004

Family

This has been a nice week...my sister was in from Washington State, my Aunt and cousin were here also from Maryland.  I've not seen my Aunt and cousin for lord so many years it hurts.  Just getting on with the business of living sometimes takes you away from really living it.

In the time since I last saw them, we have lost my Grandmom, my Uncle Billy and my Uncle George.  But this week they lived in our memories, in tall tales and visually captured on video by my sister Barbara.  Watching them interact with each other and we who are still living was a touching moment almost too hard to bear.  Especially my Uncle George..he loved to capture everyones image on camera...he had every photographic gadget known to man...I can remember almost being blinded by his light display for his 8 MM movie camera..when I was a child.  My cousin, Tina, told me that George had transferred alot of the old movies onto video...Oh, I really would love to see them.

Why is it that when we are children time seems to move so slow? I can remember thinking as a child.."ohh wait till I grow up and I can do what the adults do, like stay up..go out dancing"...but now I realize it wasn't so much to grow up..but it was the thought of being able to accompany "them" that I was longing for.

This week we laughed so much our cheeks hurt.  Remembering funny, quirky family events....like the fact that my Grandma loved to dress up to go "downtown"...she went the whole nine yards...full bath, powder everywhere, nylons, a dress not pants..hair done to perfection, doing her makeup seated at her wonderful old burled wood makeup table with the three mirrors set just right.  Oh, not to forget the matching shoes, pocketbook, hat and lordy don't forget "the white gloves".

Oh, I close my eyes, I can smell the combination of Noxzema and baby powder filling the room.  Now Grandma would do all of this we would be all dressed as well...proceed to the bus and head downtown..to Granby Street.  Grandma never learned to drive and neither have I...strange.  We would head into the stores, mainly looking at clothing...and look and look and look...I cannot remember her buying anything. It always seemed that she had found just the right thing that she needed and at the very last second she would talk herself right out of it!

I just have to laugh remembering her...comparing notes with my cousin it seems I was not the only one who noticed this strange behavior on Grandma's part.  She was lucky though she had so many people that bought her beautiful things she really didn't need to shop....just drop a hint and she got it.

My Aunt was mentioning how much everyone missed Grandma's house.  My cousin Nicky had visited Norfolk , had found himself parked in front of the house, just staring at it and all it's memories. There are certain places that stay within your heart forever marking a time in your life always remembered with great fondness.  I hope that the new owners have gotten as much joy from the place as we did growing up.

They say that you can't go home again.  I think I know that. But I still want to revisit where I stepped as a child, walk along the stone wall fence on my way to the little ocean inlet where I used to fish with Grandpa...checking out all the pink trees and hummingbirds along the way...so much changes and yet nothing changes.

Love you all.   Till We Meet Again

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your memories. What a special time for you!
:) Loretta
http://journals.aol.com/lrttklly/LupusLeftovers/
LUPUS JOURNAL
http://journals.aol.com/lrttklly/LorettasStudio
PAINTINGS, etc.
http://journals.aol.com/lrttklly/FindingaVoice/
ESSAYS

Anonymous said...

The passage where you write about time and growing up? I say that to myself from time to time.....Why is it we don't enjoy the time like we did when we were young. When every moment we lived for..we didn't think about tomorrow's we thought about the present day, going to bed at night and dreaming about what we did.

Now when where grown up, we have no time for lifes enjoyments....racing around to fit one more thing in our shedule. And if we don't, We squeeze it into tomorrow, which has already a crammed schedule. We worry about what's going to happen days , weeks or even months from now. Instead of the the day where in at the moment. Now we don't even appreaciate the present day.

I wish for the same, to be able to go back to the places where I once roamed. I sometimes take my kids to some of my old stomping grounds. Or we sit around and talk about what I did as a kid. It's great to remember. And the smells, They say scent is the biggest tie to a memory. I myself remember the smell of grandma's noxema, even more her cooking.

Beautiful entry....now you got me reminising, lolol

Mish

http://journals.aol.com/bigalsbaby03/twistoffate/
http://journals.aol.com/terrapinz76/TieDyeChronicals/

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful set of memories to share. I can just smell your Grandma, now.  :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing these wonderful family memories. Glad you had such a good week.

Anonymous said...

my grandma did the same for her trips uptown, never went anywhere unless she was dressed 'just so', complete with a smear of lipstick and a pat of face powder, and her best pocketbook tucked protectively under her arm.

what a wonderful entry.  :-)  i'm so glad you had a good time.

Anonymous said...

When you are a child you seem to look at everything with rose colored glasses, but as time moves on you seem to lose that.  I am glad you had such a nice time with your family!  :)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful, marvelous weekend! Enjoy those precious moments together and the new memories they create. Time is a funny thing is it not? Our perspective of time can change with age and even with the task at hand. Time flies when with dear friends and loved ones, and drags during the drugery of chores... like cleaning the bathroom. Well best wishes for an awesome week.

Anonymous said...

You have such wonderful memories of your grandmother...this was such a moving entry

http://journals.aol.com/derasta/ADayInTheLife

Anonymous said...

that was a lovely entry, lovely to share x
jay x
http://journals.aol.co.uk/g1itterkat/OurBrood/

Anonymous said...

Just dropping by to say hi. I like the font this way (and it's my favorite color, BONUS!!!).

Blessings.

http://journals.aol.com/glopsblink/ATreasureTroveofGoodies

http://groups.aol.com/bloggerville

Anonymous said...

Wanted to say hi and let you know you have a neat journal. Love the memory of your grandma.
http://journals.aol.com/swjelj/Mylittleworld

Anonymous said...

Oh you brought back memories of my own Grandmom Ozmon...how much I miss her; how I used to love going downtown with her, how soft spoken, yet assertive she was. Her home...and the memories of my Granny, didnt get to see her very often, she lived in Ireland, but she always treated all of us so special...It's wonderful & bittersweet at the same time being able to relive the memories, but, I'd never give any of them up! What a wonderful entry! (star trek fan here too!)~Mary Anne~

Anonymous said...

WE LOVE YOU TOO SANDI. THAT IS A MOST MOVING ENTRY, AND IT DID TAKE ME BACK TO ANOTHER TIME THAT I LOVE. THANK YOU FOR SHARING WITH US ABOUT YOUR GRANDMOTHER. ITS FUNNY THOUGH, I SAW MYSELF HERE, LIKE YOUR GRANDMOTHER, I TOO WILL SHOP AND SHOP AND THEN AT THE LAST MINUTE WILL TALK MYSELF OUT OF IT.:)
KIM.