Saturday, February 4, 2006

Rain Rain...Go Away..Come back Another Day

Ever heard the saying "when it rains, it pours?"  Boy, were they ever right.  The Tampa Bay area and actually just a rather wide slice right across Pinellas County into upper Hillsborough got smacked with a horrendous storm yesterday.

I mean, it rained "biblical portions" evoking a thought from within me whether or not to seek higher elevations. The idea of an Ark was appealing too.

I awoke in the morning to the sound of heavy water cascading overhead...I quickly went to the kitchen to check the yard.  There was so much water coming off the roof that you could not even see out the windows.  Then I opened the front door a bit, it was very windy and the view was not much better. I could see that the water was rising, you have to step up a couple of steps to get into my house...the water was over the first step.

The phone rang, it was one of our friends checking if I was alright, as he knew Joe was working outside of our area.  His house was starting to see water creep on up to his front door and his backyard was totally flooded...he has a canal in back of his house but it had risen to within a few feet of his back door. I thanked him and told him to stay safe.

We had not had a good rainfall for almost a month, so the land was very dry...but when it rains like this it runs right off the land without percolating down into the water fields.

The weather was on constantly, it seems that a Bed, Bath & Beyond stores roof had collapsed due to the weight of the downpour.  The roof drains could not handle it fast enough to alleviate the weight of the water.  Looking at the devastation, it was a matter of luck that no one was seriously hurt or killed.  There were reports of several other collapses too.

I thought I had gotten by pretty good, we had sprung a few leaks in the kitchen ceiling - but it didn't look that bad.   Or so I thought, I woke up this morning to find 1/4 of my ceiling on the floor, what a mess!  Wet sheetrock, insulation and lord knows what forming a yucky mess on everything it touched.  

Well, I guess that's better than some here...some people wound up with two foot of water throughout their houses, plus drowned cars.

My sister called from Washington State last night, she asked how much did you all get? I told her 12".

"HOW much? she said.....yup 12" of rain...it's as if you took three months of the year's downfall, squeezed it into a 12 hour time period and let loose...

Hasn't happened before in the twenty years that we're here and I'm hoping that it will not again....

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my! I cannot imagine that much rain in one day.

betty

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you had all that rain. It must have taken an age to clear up the mess in your kitchen. I had a letter from our water authority asking us to conserve water as we're in the middle of the worst drought in a hundred years. I hope you don't get any more. Jeannette.

Anonymous said...

good lord!  biblical proportions is right!  that is an amazing amount of water...

i'm sorry about your ceiling.  :-(

Anonymous said...

Sandi, 12" of rain, how frightening is that....Have you got everything back to normal at your house...(Building an Ark sounds like a good idea to me)...Thank goodness no one was seriously hurt..Ally

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your ceiling. We had a thunderstorm and tornado warning here in the Panhandle last Thursday. It rained cats and dogs the whole day but I did not hear of any damage or flooding. Be aware of the nasty mold that can take over your home from that kind of damage. Our leaky roof (courtesy of Ivan) from our old house spawned some and it's a pain to scrub and get rid of. Take care.

Anonymous said...

yup- i know what u mean..it was awful..i live on the east coast, and got the rest of what you had..not as bad though. we are still cleaning up from  wilma...roberta

Anonymous said...

Glad you and yours survived it okay!  The pics were unbelievable!  WOw!  I hope you don't see that again either!

Be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

Wow, That's a lot of rain.  We are currently in Mesa, AZ.   There is a record of 104 days without rain..  We could use some of  yours here.    So sorry about your ceiling.             Dawn

Anonymous said...

Yikes! That is an horrendous amount of rain to fall at once. I am happy you were not hurt, but sorry to learn of your ceiling woes. It is really amazing more damage was not done.